A visit to Bangalore Police Station

So I lost my mobile phone. Sad. Never mind. I got the SIM blocked next day. Now just for formality I had to go to police station and file an F.I.R. I call it formality, because I didn't hope of getting my mobile back. I just wanted to get a stamped document, saying that I had lost mobile and I am not responsible for same.

I wrote a letter, requesting to file F.I.R. Took two print outs of the letter, and visited HAL Police Station. There a aged policeman asked me for mobile bill. I didn't have it. So I came back. Damn one more visit to this damned place!

Next day I went again. This time I was stopped outside. Half a dozen policeman were standing at gate. And asked me to wait for half an hour. Apparently there was some officer inside, doing god knows what. Fuck.

Later when I went in, the guy there asked me for bribe. I did not understand his accent, so I asked him again. He told again in his broken Hindi. I tried to refuse. So he started asking me to come tomorrow morning and led me outside. I stood outside. Then the guy came up to me, and asked me for money. It was dark outside. I hesitated, but since I did not want to come again next day, I extracted 50 Rs note from pocket. He saw it and asked for 100 Rs. I said I have this much only. Again he started saying 'come tomorrow', and started going inside. I followed him and kept asking him to file complaint. A policeman at gate said to him to do it. At last he signed and stamped on my letter, with a angry annoyed face.
And I came outside relieved but guilty.

I am not pleased about paying bribe. But I didn't want to come again. And who can say that he would have done my work next day?

That day I understood one thing - why common man has to do the sin of paying bribe.

Comments

Popular Posts